aimless love

But my heart is always propped up in a field on its tripod, ready for the next arrow. billy collins

Saturday, August 5, 2006

all connected

Went to NYC Thurs night - saw a great show - Sarah Jones in Bridges and Tunnel, on the recommendation of my friend who thought it was right up my alley... it's very much in keeping with the type of performance piece I would like to do for my dissertation.

I stayed in a little hotel, the Park 79, which was in a great location - right behind the Museum of Natural History, but was just ok - it's hard to keep a bathroom that is used by four or five rooms completely clean... still the room was clean and thank god for the air conditioner (it was hot as the dickens! I walked about 10 blocks just to get a lay of the land on Fri morning, and I was sweating right through my clothes).

I ended up not going to the museum though because my grandmother had a doctor's appt, and was in a bit of a crisis. She's 90, and has been really unhappy the past few years since having a stroke. She's been cared for by several Dominican women who stay with her 24 hours a day 3-4 days/week, and every time there is a transition with these women she has a bit of a crisis... it's really awful. Anyway, I ended up spending much of the day with her and my aunt and uncle at her appointment, and then I spend 3 hours in NY/CT traffic, and another 3 hours getting from CT home!

I was grumpy!

still, I listened to Prodigal Summer (one of my favorite Barbara Kingsolver books) on tape, and that helped - although I had forgotten how much sex is in the book... I had mostly just remembered the sensualness of it, and the immense feeling of "home" I got from it's reminders that we are all part of the family of things - like that Mary Oliver line -

whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things

From "Wild Geese"

all connected, we
keep searching for our place and
can't believe we're found

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home