aimless love

But my heart is always propped up in a field on its tripod, ready for the next arrow. billy collins

Monday, June 5, 2006

sister Lola

I'm feeling exhilarated! I had my first cello lesson, and it's going to be great!

First of all, I spent a good part of the day working on the proposal (for the dissertation). I got a haircut, and did some email both for IEATA, and for the university. I spoke to a few folks on the phone, and so far don't feel too lonely...

Then - I walked to the music school (about a half-hour walk) and had a half-hour lesson, and walked home. WOW!! I'm so jazzed. Mondays used to be my favorite days for just this reason - clean slate, a chance to get to the things you want to get to, no failures yet...

Someone recently told me about a memoir of an adult who learns cello - John Holt's memoir - ok... it's a little hokey - the title is "Never Too Late." If I can get it together I'm going to read it.

I'm reading Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult now. She's entertaining. I want more time to just sit around and read! Maybe if I can get a rhythm with this dissertation, I actually could get time to read. I'm trying not to get too confident. It's scary being alone with my writing... so far, so good, but I know that it can get pretty intense.

Meanwhile -

plucking strings, I sit
with wooden sister between
my knees hold us both




I've decided to name my cello, Lola.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home